Friday, July 13, 2007

Virginia Farm Photos

Last year on Labor Day, Lou and I made a trip to Virginia to visit my family and see some friends who still live there. I wrote up some of the cooking we did that weekend here.

One of the afternoons we were there, we drove out with my parents, my sister and my niece to my Dad's farm, which is known as Lover's Leap (the farm got its name because it abuts a huge cliff and there's a legend about two Indian lover's jumping to their deaths from the cliff because their families did not approve of their love).

A few of the photos we took that afternoon were lovely, so I thought I'd post some of them after writing about Virginia yesterday. My Dad is not a farmer, but he leases out the land to a neighboring farmer who uses it to graze his milking cows. To my knowledge, neither my father nor the farmer receive any federal government farm subsidies. Not long ago my dad put a conservation easement on the farm so that it will remain mostly undeveloped in perpetuity.

This is a photograph of the Maury River, which runs through the farm.



This is me in front of one of the barns.



And these are the cows who live on the farm.

No comments: