Thursday, July 19, 2007

Fourth of July Malt Ball Cake

I made the malt ball cake again for the Fourth of July. You can read the story of this cake here, but I was inspired to make it again because we had our friends Stephanie and Jen and their three daughters over for a celebratory lunch. Here's Breckin with the cake.



Lou and I toyed with the idea of arranging the malt balls in the shape of a star, but then I came up with the idea of just making a rough American flag design. It worked out perfectly, and I think the cake looks even better than the Easter cake. Pretty cute, isn't it? The shape of the cake vaguely reminds me of a red, white and blue styrofoam hat my dad used to wear on the Fourth of July when I was a kid.




As expected, the cake was a hit--colorful, moist, tasty--but I wouldn't dare post the pictures of Breckin's face covered in cake!

No comments: