Thursday, December 20, 2007

Two Links, and Off for Christmas

Check out this story yesterday in Dining In/Dining Out about Meatpaper, a newish San Francisco-based quarterly devoted to meat. What I love about the story is that the two founders were once committed vegetarians who changed course and now appreciate and celebrate eating meat.

Oliver Schwaner-Albright quotes Stranden, one of the founders, as saying, "We find over and over again that bacon is the conversion meat...Bacon is how vegetarians change their minds." I was struck by this comment because Lou and I recently had a conversation over dinner with our friends Scott and Stephen, and the subject of the conversion from vegetarianism to carnivorism came up when I commented on the chicken dinner Scott served and ate along with us. Scott used to be a vegetarian, so I was a little surprised to see him eating meat. He told me that he had begun eating fish some time ago. He said he then ate a piece of prosciutto on a salad once and that ultimately broke the no-meat-eating barrier for him. He's been eating meat ever since. I remarked that I had heard other former vegetarians say that bacon was the meat that first lured them back, so I was intrigued to hear Stranden echo pork-inspired conversion stories. By the way, reread the title of this posting. Does pork come to mind?

Also, I noted this blog posting today about Grant Achatz, the chef at Alinea. Apparently, he had been diagnosed with cancer of the tongue this summer, and he's now made a public statement that his cancer is in remission. Good news.

I'm off for about week for Christmas visits in the east, so blogging will likely cease. Merry Christmas!

No comments: