Monday, December 17, 2007

Food News Roundup

Here's a rundown of several food related news stories from the past week that I think are worth mentioning on Foodphiles:

First, The New York Times Sunday Magazine published a piece by Michael Pollan yesterday in which he discusses the un-sustainability of factory farming and monocultures. It's well worth a read. I also noted that his new book, "In Defense of Food, An Eater's Manifesto," will be published in January. I'm definitely going to add his new book to my wish list.

Also, today in the NYT, they published a story by Elizabeth Jensen about the Food Network canceling Emeril Lagasse's prime time show, "Emeril Live."

I can't say that I'm entirely sad about Emeril Live coming to an end, especially since I have not watched his show in a very long time. But there was a time, probably in his first couple of years on the air, when I watched his show regularly. Actually, I used to love his show. I was captivated by the novelty of it--the live audience, his humor (Bam!) and the way he made cooking seem fun and easy. Like so many other viewers, he turned me on to other cooking shows on the Food Network as well, many of them obviously modeled on his show. Dare I say he defined the terms of celebrity chefdom?

So, it seems like a big deal that the Food Network has now canceled his show. I think it's too bad that they did not seem to give him a chance to retool the show or try to update the format for today's audience. It is a shame, frankly, that his break-through show is coming to an end. Of course, many of his innovations--his down-home shtick and the live audience--will live long as long as Rachel Ray and others remains on the air, but I want to note the end of the run for the original cable cooking king.

Also, in the Chronicle, Carolyn Lockhead reports today on the green changes Nancy Pelosi, the Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives and my own representative in Congress, has pushed on the cafes in the U.S. House.

And also today in the Chronicle, Phil Matier and Andy Ross mention that San Francisco mayor Gavin Newsom is considering subjecting the sellers of high-fructose corn syrup drinks to a special fee to help the city cope with the rising costs that stem from unhealthy foods and drinks. Newsom's idea stikes me as a good first start at trying to change the behavior of retailers and consumers when it comes to buying these drinks.

Finally, here's a story from last week about the first regular grocery store set to open in San Francisco's economically disadvantaged neighborhood, the Bayview. This is good news for this largely African-American neighborhood that has not yet had its own grocery store.

No comments: