Saturday, April 21, 2007

Food Foraging: The Alemany Farmer's Market


There are several farmer's markets in San Francisco each weekend, and for the last year or so I've usually found my way to the Alemany Farmer's Market, located on the south side of Bernal Heights. I'm a big fan.

Even though it lacks the stunning views of the Ferry Building Farmer's Market and even though I am not sure all the produce is organic or sustainably farmed, the produce is fresh and very cheap. I also like the diversity of the patrons of the market; in many ways the customers reflect the diversity of San Francisco much more than the Ferry Building market, which is usually overrun by tourists.

I woke up early, so by 9 am I had finished two cups of coffee, read the paper and eaten the pineapple breakfast cake they gave us as we leftGary Danko on Thursday night. With time to kill until my swim practice at 11:30, I convinced Lou to join me for a trip to the market.

Today, we bought three bunches of asparagus for $7, one basket of strawberries for $3, some romanesco broccoli for $4 a head and some broccoli rabe-like cauliflower for $5. We also bought some honey--Blackberry Blossom, Orange Blossom and Eucalyptus--for $14.

We've also bought flowers there the last couple of weekends, and we've never spent more than $30 on bunches of fresh flowers. Here's Lou with the flowers.



Here are some almonds on the branch. We haven't decided what to do with them yet.



And, here's me with the honey man.



And here's a picture of the jars of honey.

No comments: