Sunday, April 06, 2008

Oxtails Redux and Rhubarb Shortcake



Lou made Marin Sun Farms Oxtails again last night for Amy and me. This time, he used the recipe from the Zuni Cafe Cookbook, which calls for using fewer onions than the recipe he used last time. It also calls for using tomatoes and a splash of brandy. On balance, I think the Zuni version was a little better than two weeks ago. The acidity of the tomatoes was a nice addition this time around. The braising sauce was wonderful with my homemade wheat bread and with the asparagus I blanched and sprinkled with Italian parsley and fresh lemon juice.



For dessert, I modified Scott Peacock's recipe from last month's Bon Appetit for a rhubarb compote. Actually, I made the compote according to the recipe, but I served it with homemade biscuits and whipped cream instead of with the cake Peacock suggests in the magazine. I served, in effect, rhubarb shortcake. I forgot to garnish the dish with sprigs of mint, but the overall flavors were marvelous. The richness of the soft biscuits and the thick whipped cream nicely balanced the tart chunks of rhubarb and the slightly sweet and sour rhubarb syrup. It was a tasty innovation, if I do say so myself.

No comments: