Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Beet Soup



I made a red and golden beet soup the other day for dinner. It was my first time cooking beets, and I actually enjoyed watching my hands turn more and more red as I peeled and chopped the beets. The coloring washed off fairly easily.

On the whole, the soup--it's really two soups--turned out well. The recipe calls for stewing the beets separately for about 40 minutes, however I let them go a little longer just to be sure they were soft enough. I also ended up using slightly less than the exact amount of beets called for in the recipe, so I inadvertently added too much milk to the golden beets when I pureed them in the food processor. For the red beets, I scaled back the amount of milk and used only a cup and I was happier with the way they turned out.

We served the leftover soup on Friday night for Amy and Jen, and I thought it might look nice served in teacups. Here's the way it turned out on night number two.

No comments: