Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The Fear of the Foodie Host

I've been away from the blog for a few weeks. I'm sorry about that. There's no good excuse. I was in Hawaii and in New York City in May, and I've cooked and eaten some great meals since my last posting, but I just haven't felt like writing. I'll write up something soon. I have at least one very good story to tell.

This was in the NYT Dining In/Dining Out section today. It's an interesting piece about the anxiety foodies feel when they cook for other foodies. I think I'm fairly relaxed in the kitchen, no matter who is coming to dinner, but I know that I stress out at least one person: my mom. The funny thing is that I feel like my mother is one of the people who most influenced me as a host, though perhaps not as a cook. Even though she freaks out before her guests arrive, she is thorough about planning parties and thinking through every detail. She is also a gracious host, and I think that may have rubbed off on me. Who knows. For whatever reason, I love to entertain as much as I love to delight guests with tastes, flavors and presentations, and I think that might be the key to hosting other foodies. Also, a willingness to accept that dinner may not turn out perfectly also helps. Think of it as Foodie Zen.

No comments: