Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Salted Lavender Caramel Chocolates

Yes, I know it's been a VERY long time since I last posted. Several of you readers have gently reminded me that I do in fact own this blog and that I should get back to posting right away. Well, here goes. I have no good excuse for not writing for nearly two months. I took a break. I went on vacation. I made a couple of work trips. I happily ate my way up the East Coast and then around San Francisco. I will tell you about some of those meals soon.

In the meantime, I want to say a word about a surprise treat my friend, Wes, gave me last Saturday. He came to our swim team practice armed with a tupperware container of homemade salted lavender caramel chocolates. They were exquisite. The caramel tasted faintly of lavender. Actually, the caramel finished like a fine wine with hints of lavender lingering in my mouth long after I had swallowed. Dark chocolate wrapped the caramel, enriching it with cocoa bitterness, and large grains of salt delivered a savory counter note to the sweetness of the caramel and the bitterness of the chocolate. Each piece was beautifully styled as well.



I only learned after the fact that Wes used to be a pastry chef. I should not have been surprised--his confections rivaled in taste and beauty any of the best I've tried.

More, Wes, More!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you sneak one out of that tupperware for me?