Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Dinner at Chez Panisse



We ate dinner at Chez Panisse on Saturday night, September 23rd.

I usually try calling on the day I want to go to Chez Panisse to check for cancellations, and I'm usually able to get a table in the cafe upstairs or, on occasion, I luck out and get a table downstairs in the restaurant. I had tried for a table a few times before the 23rd, so I was thrilled when they had an opening for us that night. I booked a table in the restaurant for 9:15 pm.

We did not know what was on the menu (I like surprises), so we were both delighted when we saw the menu and realized that it had a Spanish theme. We started with a glass of Cava (Spanish sparkling wine) and toasted almonds. Then, we were served a tapas plate made up of anchovy toasts, button mushrooms with aioli, thinly sliced ham, an egg and a few other things. The third course was shrimp and clam paella with saffron, and the main course was both a piece of rack of lamb and lamb loin served with beans and cubed sauteed eggplant. For dessert, we ate fig tart with homemade cinnamon and anise ice cream.



True to Alice Waters' style, the food was simple, yet intensely flavorful. For me, the tapas, the lamb, the eggplant and the dessert stood out. Overall, I would characterize the preparation and presentation at Chez Panisse as pure and light, and our meal was a study in lightened purity.

The tastings of tapas--that's really what it was--played off each other and danced together. The saltiness of the anchovy, the garlic in the aioli the butteriness of the mushrooms all complimented each other and blended well. The lamb was perfectly moist and flavorful. I was struck by the eggplant because I have so much trouble cooking eggplant and because the cubes were crisp on the outsides and tender and juicy on the inside. It was remarkable. The tart was light and refreshing, especially with a scoop of ice cream on the side. Lou even liked the tart, though he usually dislikes figs.

On the whole, it was a wonderful meal. We brought along our last bottle of Patty Green 2004 Sauvignon Blanc, and it made for a sweet, but fitting pairing for our Spanish themed meal.

We hope to return to Chez Panisse with Lou's parents when they come visit in November.

No comments: