Monday, August 28, 2006

A Feast for Friends from LA

Well, faithful readers, it's been some time since I lasted posted on foodphiles, but this past weekend some dear friends came up from LA for a quick visit and I promised them I would post about our dinner. Actually, I promised this would be the beginning of regular posting, so here goes...

All summer long we've been making the most of our stovetop grill by charring, searing and otherwise grilling fresh vegetables and meats. The method of preparation is basically the same: coat the meats or vegetables in olive oil, add salt and pepper, and throw them on the grill. I like the simple flavors of vegetables and meats mixed with the flavor of the grill itself. And there's no easier way to cook.

On Saturday, we began the evening by serving a collection of cheeses--soft and hard--along with almonds and honey:



Here we all are around the table enjoying some Patty Green Pinot Noir with the cheese:



For dinner, I grilled flank steak and green onions (these were some of the largest green onions I've ever seen!). I also threw together some mixed greens with cherry and plum tomatoes, and we microwaved some corn. Here's a picture of the green onions on the grill:



The highlight of the evening, however, was the flourless chocolate cake that I made for dessert. Several years ago I came across a recipe in Bon Appetit that captivated me. The recipe was created by Jacques Torres, who was the executive pastry chef at Le Cirque in New York. The recipe could not be easier--the only ingredients are chocolate, sugar, water, eggs and butter. It's moist and rich, and it's been a hit every time I've made it.

Here's a photo of the cake after it had cooled but before we decorated it:



Greg and Michele made vanilla ice cream to top off the cake.



Lou made marzipan leaves, mushrooms and acorns to decorate the cake and help us envision the upcoming fall:







All in all, it was a wonderful evening of food, conversation and friendship. I'm glad they came for dinner.

No comments: