Monday, February 06, 2006

Lemons?

I pulled about fifty lemons off the tree in our back yard last week, and I've been stumped trying to figure out what to do with all of them. I've been putting lemon juice in and on everything I cook - vinaigrette, the Chicken Stew for Jackie and Beth and on vegetables - but I can't find a recipe that calls for using a lot of lemons. They look pretty in the bowl, but there must be something more I can do with them other than make lots of lemonade.



Anyone have any ideas? Please write with suggestions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have the same problem - too many lemons from the backyard tree.
In this spirit, I offer my father's all-time favorite dessert recipe, a relic from the 1950's that uses up lots of lemons:

LEMON JELLO CAKE

1 box Duncan Hines lemon supreme cake mix
3/4 c. Wesson oil
Add 1 regular lemon Jello dissolved well
Lemon juice - the more the better

ICING:

2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. lemon juice

Dissolve 1 regular size package of lemon Jello in 1 cup boiling water. Set aside to cool.Place in large mixing bowl: Cake mix, Wesson oil, eggs one at a time. Add dissolve Jello. Mix and beat well. Bake in well greased pan about 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees. It is best to use a glass baking pan because you leave the cake in the pan. While cake is baking, prepare icing.

Icing: While cake is still hot, punch holes with a fork all over top of cake and pour icing over it.