Friday, November 25, 2005

Thanksgiving Postponed

Welcome to Foodphiles.

I had planned to start blogging on Thanksgiving Day yesterday, but, in a cruel twist of irony, I came down with food poisoning from a piece of pizza I ate on Wednesday night. I spent all day yesterday curled up on my couch barely able to move. No turkey for me. All I was able to drink was some Vernor's Ginger Ale and little bit of chicken broth late in the day. It was not the Thanksgiving I had hoped for. My plan had been to cook a simple, but elegant, Thanksgiving Dinner for Lou. The menu was going to consist of roast turkey breast, mascarpone and garlic mashed potatoes covered in sauteed leeks, broccoli rabe and celery root soup. I was going to serve a light German Riesling with dinner, and for dessert I was going to serve homemade pistachio biscotti--I made the biscotti on Wednesday--and Vin Santo. I was going to do all the cooking, but instead Lou ended up making his mom's spicy pork sausage stuffing for himself. He carmelized shallots in butter, added some celery and pork and mixed it all together with some more butter and stove top stuffing and then topped it off with mozzarella cheese before baking it for about 25 minutes. He was very pleased with how it turned out, saying it was as good as he remembered his mom's being. I sat on the couched and watched him eat it. Even though my plans were foiled, Lou and I managed to celebrate Thanksgiving without a traditional meal. We entered into the spirit of Thanksgiving by giving thanks for the time together, for food--foodlessness in my case--and for love.

I'm feeling much better today. I may roast the turkey tonight if I don't feel too tired. Or, I'll roast it tomorrow, and we'll eat a belated Thanksgiving dinner then. I'll write more about how it turns out then.

A word about Foodphiles. This is a blog about people who are passionate about food. My intention is to talk to as many people as possible about why they cook, what they cook and how they cook and tell their stories. Eventually,I want incoporate video and photos into this site. I may also write about some of my own cooking and some of my own experiences in restaurants, but I mostly want this to be about others. I've got a great story to tell about a day I spent making pizzas in a homemade brick wood-buring oven.

No comments: